Re: [Spridgets] Just can't figure these out (rant)

To: "Chris Manuel" <cmanuel@wi.rr.com>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Just can't figure these out (rant)
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 01:32:43 -0400
The "easiest" and most reliable arrangement is the alternator.
Especially if it's a modern "one wire" internally regulated type.

There is nothing "safer" about a generator.  It is more complex and troublesome.

The only reason to go back to the generator is if you want originality
and you plan to trailer the car to events.

You need to find out what happened.   What shorted?
What might have been hooked up wrong?

If you only cooked the wires from the alternator up to the battery, then you may
be able to slavage the harness an splice in new wires.  But you will need to rip
off the outer covering and inspect the adjacent wires to judge the extent of
damage.

Otherwise I would bite the bullet, get a new harnes and get good instructions
on how to correctly adapt in a modern alternator. (email me off list for all
the info
I used to install an early 90's Honda alternator)

It also would be wise to send that alternator to the shop to get it tested.
You may have blown it's diodes or regulator.