Re: [Spridgets] Radiator size

To: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Radiator size
From: Kevin Valentine <kevinv1275@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:46:57 -0400
On Apr 14, 2010, at 10:47 PM, Frank wrote:

> I am using a Geo Metro radiator. It fits, works well, has an
> electric fan, and it was $15 at the junk yard.
> Also, Suzuki Swift, and a weird little chevy which looks like the
> swift and metro use the same radiator.
> It's a 3 cyl car BUT you need the rad from the automatic tranny
> model as the stick shifts used a slightly taller rad.
> I don't know why this is but it is.
> I simply crimped off the trans cooler pipes.
> Stock downflow bottom hose still works but you need a cross flow
> top hose and it needs to be cut short by about an inch.
> I made 2 "L" brackets to hold the metro rad to the Bugeye rad
> supports, I just used the top holes, the bottom of the rad sits
> nice down between the front frame rails.
> I also cut off 1 leg of the electric fan support to clear the
> steering rack.
> Nothing has moved and I have had that radiator for about 9 years now.
> Pepboys has a universal electric fan switch with a probe that fits
> in the fins of the rad, it also is adjustable.
> Mine is set to come on at 170*, I run a 160 stat and with the small
> speedwell grille opening, this works fine.

I run the same radiator in my 71 Midget.  I started out with the
electric fan (same as Frank) but when the fan decided to stop working
I removed it and re-installed the original yellow plastic fan.  I was
surprised to find that it cools exceptionally well in this
configuration (even tho it has no shroud).  I've driven it up some
very long -and steep Pennsylvania mountains in 100* heat without
overheating.  It stays at 180* even when idling in hot weather.

Kevin V.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive