Re: [Spridgets] Cross Flow Quesiton - Turbo Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cross Flow Quesiton - Turbo Question
From: Greg Gowins <eric.t.cartman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 16:58:27 -0500
Understood.  But my recollection was that the reason it wouldn't run lean
was that the turbo/supercharger changed the amount of pressure because it
was forcing the extra air in, over the same volume of air at a normal level
of pressure.  Kinda like how water boils at a lower temp at high altitudes
because of the less dense air, more energy is released from the fuel due to
higher pressure.

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM, <WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com> wrote:

>  With a carb the amount of fuel dumped in is determined by the jets or
> needles so that even given carb at any given engine speed (air flow) can be
> made to run rich. Same thing with fuel injection if it's not set correctly,
> injectors too big etc.
>
> A lot of factors limit how much AIR can be drawn into the engine
> (volumetric efficiency??) and given you can always add more fuel to the air
> than it needs (air/fuel mixture is too rich) it is the overall breathing
> efficiency of the engine that limits power.  The engine sucks in as much air
> as it is capable of whether carb or injection.
>
> What a turbo or super charger does is FORCE FEED AIR INTO THE ENGINE.  The
> engine doesn't suck air rather it has air pumped into it, sometimes at
> pressure (tech difference between various types of supercharger and turbo
> charging).
>
> More air = more fuel though it's still possible to get a super or turbo
> charged engine to run too rich.  It's also possible to have to little fuel
> with just a carb (or injection) and super or turbo charging.
>
> If the turbo or supercharger just put more air into the engine for any
> given amount of fuel the engine would simply run lean and make no more power
> than without a super or turbo charger.
>
> Weslake-Monza 1330

> eric.t.cartman@gmail.com writes:
>
> With a carb, the amount of fuel dumped in is determined by the speed of the
> air flow.  So as more CFM is fed in to the venturis, more gas is pulled in
> to the cylinder. With a turbo or supercharger, it uses the same amount of
> fuel as non-boost system, it just crams a lot more air in so that you get
> more energy out of the fuel at combustion time.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums