Re: [Spridgets] Bikes at Speed

To: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bikes at Speed
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 16:37:36 -0400
> Question for the list. .
>
> I ran into a guy today who used to have a 64 Sprite.  He told me that he
> would break his rear axles.  I told him that I have never had that problem.
> He said that he was hard on his car and that if you hit the rear down at an
> angle they are likely to snap at the ends.
>
> Is this fairly common with our cars or was this guy a maniac of some sort
> really pushing his car too hard on bumpy surfaces?
>
> I was not aware that this is a potential weak point?

I have snapped about a 1/2 dozen over the years, my daughter snapped 2,
my wife snapped 2, my son, so far, has not snapped any axles.
They are not a weak point if you drive like an old lady.
But a hole shot here or there will snap an axle.
I snapped one at an autocross, one leaving a gas station, the others
were during my younger days and horsing around.
Wife was young then too, and horsing around, Daughter snapped hers in
her 17th year.
I carry a spare axle in my Sprite strapped to the inner passenger wheel
well just in case.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ