Re: [Spridgets] Another British engine (not)

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another British engine (not)
From: Kathryn Bales <kgb@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:14:52 -0700
I came real close to buying a Landy Defender before I found my Comanche.
I missed it by about an hour. I am glad that I continued my search, as I
found one equipped essentially as I wanted and in decent shape. He also
has low mileage for his vintage, and the shop I use for repairs I am
unable or unwilling to do myself has maintained it since new. After
straightening out a few minor dings and applying a new coat of non water
based paint, he should look as new.

The old Rambler inline six is about as bomb proof as an engine can be,
and relatively simple for owner repair, should any ever be needed. My
old Cherokee had over 400,000 trouble free miles, my newer one has
200,000. Duece, the Comanche, has just over 100,000, so I am looking
forward to a long time with him. The engine is strong enough to pull my
horse trailer, although I wouldn't ask it to go over the Rockies. With
the 6" lift, he will climb anything I ask him to, and still be low
enough to not have constant U joint problems. The 5 speed transmission
is strong and reliable, but so is the automatic that is paired with the
4.0 engine. I really didn't care if it had A/C, but I am glad that he
does. The new CD player is nice on long rides. I will be grabbing
opening wing windows with all the attachments as soon as I can find
them. Cherokee front doors seem to leave the wrecking yards rather
quickly around here, and I don't get to Reno often enough. The fact that
Jeep only built the Comanche for 5 years probably means that he will
become a collector someday.  I know that I looked as far east as Ohio
when trying to find a good one.

I do use him as a truck, hauling animal feed, fence posts, lumber, and
whatever else won't fit in the car. For long lumber, I can always use
the big truck with the lumber rack on top.

Kate