Re: [Spridgets] Ralph Nader. . Corvair

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Ralph Nader. . Corvair
From: <corvallis@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:22:32 -0700
Yes, the rear suspension is tricky. I have read that is was originally
developed by Tatra. The advantage is that it was stable on high-center
(unimproved) roads of the day.
>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_(company)

"Leopold Pasching took over control and in 1921 Hans Ledwinka returned again
to develop the revolutionary Tatra 11.
The new car, launched in 1923 featured a rigid backbone tube with swinging
semi-axles at the rear giving independent suspension."

"Ledwinka discussed his ideas with Ferdinand Porsche who used many Tatra
design features in the 1938 Kdf-Wagen, later known as the VW Beetle. This is
particularly evident when compared with the smaller T97 model which had a
rear-mounted, air-cooled, flat-4 engine and rounded body styling. Tatra
immediately started legal action, but the matter was not resolved until 1961
when Volkswagen was ordered to pay 3,000,000 Deutsche Marks in damages."
. . . bill in Oregon