Re: [Spridgets] speedometer repair?

To: cmanuel@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] speedometer repair?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:00:07 -0400
On 7/5/2010 3:36 PM, cmanuel@wi.rr.com wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> my speedometer just started to wig out yesterday and appears to think 25 mph
>is 125 or so.  The odometer still seems true though.
>
> Anything I can try without really messing up the innards?

The needle may be loose on the pin. Or the cable frayed and is making
weird readings.
Of the needle slipped, open up the speedo, there should be a black mark
on the balance wheel, this is ZERO. Roll the balance wheel and watch the
needle, they should move evenly, 1/2 way on the wheel should be 50 mph.
3/4 = 75 mph. but it will go past 100.
Hold the balance wheel near 1/2 way and push the needle to 50 mph then
push the needle down on the pin with a fair amount of finger pressure
only, no BFH on the speedometer needle ;)
You can also move the needle by holding it and moving the balance wheel
if the needle is already tight.
Maybe that paper ring inside the glass got weak, drooped down and held
the needle as the balance wheel moved the pin under it.
You can't hurt it by trying it but be gentle with the speedo guts,
needle and pin.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ