[Spridgets] More front wheel bearings

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] More front wheel bearings
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:01:30 -0400
The information on front wheel bearings is overwhelming.  "Correct" R&M
bearings from the UK are $300 the set of four.

There is much discussion of more readily available tapered roller bearings from
NAPA, but they have no record of the Timken numbers specified (05185, etc.), so
I bought the inners they specify for a 1974 MG Midget, which they happened to
have in stock (SKF BR30205), and they are clearly a complete mistake, not even
close in the outer diameter.  It is also not clear how the shape of this
bearing fits into the bearing race in the hub (I guess rollers are not supposed
to).  I assume the front Timken bearings are 05185 and 05066.  The picture of
05185 looks like an oil seal, and I have yet to find 05066 for sure.

Please,  someone tell this ignorant newbie what the numbers are for the front
bearings and where I can get them!

Michael Rowe
'74 Bugeyed Midget
Long Island, NY