Re: [Spridgets] More front wheel bearings

To: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>,Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] More front wheel bearings
From: Peter Caldwell <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:45:06 -0500
As I said, the wrong ones from Moss, and the like are cheaper, and
they seem to work for some people. The only problem is if your
spindles require a 1.5mm radius. Only the R&Ms will accommodate that
all the way up to 3mm.

Do NOT buy what you're trying to buy.
         Peter
----
At 01:01 PM 8/12/2010, Michael Rowe wrote:
>The information on front wheel bearings is overwhelming.  "Correct"
>R&M bearings from the UK are $300 the set of four.
>
>There is much discussion of more readily available tapered roller
>bearings from NAPA, but they have no record of the Timken numbers
>specified (05185, etc.), so I bought the inners they specify for a
>1974 MG Midget, which they happened to have in stock (SKF BR30205),
>and they are clearly a complete mistake, not even close in the outer
>diameter.  It is also not clear how the shape of this bearing fits
>into the bearing race in the hub (I guess rollers are not supposed
>to).  I assume the front Timken bearings are 05185 and 05066.  The
>picture of 05185 looks like an oil seal, and I have yet to find 05066 for sure.
>
>Please,  someone tell this ignorant newbie what the numbers are for
>the front bearings and where I can get them!
>
>Michael Rowe
>'74 Bugeyed Midget
>Long Island, NY

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html