Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye historical questions for reference see eBay#

To: Richard Ball <rich_ball@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bugeye historical questions for reference see eBay#
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:02:58 -0500
Not to pour water on anyone's parade but I'll wager that BE production lines
were much like many other vehicle production lines all over the world. When
a vehicle came down the line and they were out of a certain series widget or
paint to put on it, they grabbed one from another pile rather than stop
production and be sure each vehicle was totally consistent. I know for a
fact that MG production was that way at Abingdon as I was told by an old
fellow about his experience working there in the 1960s. He assured that they
put Sprite parts on MGs and vice versa all the time rather than not meet
production measures. My BMW motorcycles were also made that way. You can
never be sure that anything is absolutely authentic. I suppose that people
who write the Concours Standards are aware of this but simply choose to
ignore it. Unfortunately, the guys on the production lines never got a copy
of the Concours Standards - they were just expected to turn out so many
vehicles a day.

One good reason I never played with such things. I have better things to
argue with other people about.... (Where's Ed?)   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Don't miss the BIG PARTY!!  Midget 50th Anniversary!
Elkhart Lake, WI  July 18-22, 2011
Info & Registration here:
http://www.sprite-midgetclub.org

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html