Re: [Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues

To: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 2010 GMC Hassles and Issues
From: kgb@frontiernet.net
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 02:14:39 +0000 (UTC)
My guess would be as a status symbol. A way of letting their "friends" know
that THEY don't need to worry about the price of fuel or the cost of their
vehicle. They also have a big honkin' vehicle that looks like a truck, sounds
like a truck and, could conceivably actually be used as a truck, although it
probably never will be. They also want the comfort of a luxury car, as that is
what people in their social circles are expected to own. 99% of these things
will probably never be driven off road or in 4WD. The other 1% will make an
annual trip to the Christmas tree farm to bring home the family tree and
demonstrate to the neighbors that Daddy is macho.

The family camping trip, for which they desperately need a 4WD, will consist of
a week or two at a luxury resort or a 5 star hotel near a recreation area.
Scheduled tours in commercial vehicles will save wear & tear on the family
truck, plus make sure that an appropriate lunch is provided, without Mother
needing to soil her hands by preparing it. Creature comfort is paramount for
these people.

Personally, I think that children who are allowed to grow up without spending
several hours getting beaten to death driving down a single lane goat trail and
camping where there is no grocery store on the next corner, and cell service is
a figment of one's imagination, are deprived of an important element that can
shape their adult perspectives.

These are the folks who can afford to run for major elective office. Does this
explain part of what is rotten in DC?

JMHO,

Kate