[Spridgets] OT waaaay OT Electric Vehicles.

Subject: [Spridgets] OT waaaay OT Electric Vehicles.
From: oldsaabguy at comcast.net (Lester)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 08:18:26 -0500
Steve, you are saying , verbatim, what was said in the 70's other than the
change in price from $ .50 to $ 2.00.  It is NOT the government's job to
mandate better fuel efficiency in cars/trucks/dirigibles.  In Europe, a car is
a luxury and EVERYTHING is closer.   Shorter distances mean better use of
public transportation, absurd taxes on cars making less fuel economy mean that
folks only buy cars that are very small, underpowered, basic .. and I mean
BASIC, transportation.

You can NOT compare American and European situations.  Period.

Fred has a good point and other than the conspiracy part everything he says is
dead on, SAAB , for example, has a nice diesel that gets 40 mpg (IIRC) with
great torque that meets all safety standards over here but is NOT allowed to
be sold.  I owned a Honda Civic in '84 and could get 55 mpg with it on a carb.
But it didn't have to be as safe.  The CAFE standards instituted in the '70s
are well met *IF* you remove all the safety stuff that has had to bee
instituted since then.

Americans do not like small cars, present company excepted of course.  Safety
standards do not allow small, lightweight, fuel efficient cars.  Yes the Smart
car comes to mind but imagine how much better the fuel mileage would be
without the safety stuff, and they are not, I repeat, NOT being sold in
droves.

If this cycle follows the others, manufacturers will make several fuel
efficient models which will sell well for a few years and then the expansion
will take place making that model less efficient, larger, and more in line
with what Americans really want.

Just my $0.02.

Lester