Re: [Spridgets] 1342

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1342
From: <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:54:42 -0400
I don't know if I've ever seen a distributor in a common automobile that didn't
have a vacuum advance, but most of my history is with American brands.

Of course they make racing distributors without vacuum advance and I was going
to say that usually the people using them are pretty knowledgeable of what is
going on, but I've seen people on TV building performance cars that more times
than not would get the distributor in backwards.  If it has weights to advance
the timing you can always look at how that mechanism works before putting on
the cap.  When I was working in my dad's shop I could time a V8 Chevy very well
just by rotating to TDC on #1 and then installing the distributor, I knew
almost exactly how much it should be rotated.  (I couldn't do it now though.)

Other than my LBC, it has been nearly 14 years since I've owned a car that even
HAD a distributor.

> > But on a distributor with no vacuum advance....
>

> Rotation  is easy- it's always opposite the direction that the vacuum
> advance  points.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive