[Spridgets] Canberra was Re: Lancaster

Subject: [Spridgets] Canberra was Re: Lancaster
From: alan.east-jones at ntlworld.com (EASTJONES alan)
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:27:15 +0100
Hi
for my sins after 40 years in the automotive industry I am now working in
aerospace .  My company had an openday at RAF Cosford on the saturday 18th
June  and arranged a fly past by a Meteor, Vampire and venom , The Meteor is
similar looking to the Canberra but not as big. I took a few photos (a
couple attached )and videos which I will download when I find somewhere to
do it .
The planes flew in from my local airfield at Baginton  (Coventry) where they
are based (and made in 1949 ).
Alan
Warwick UK

The *Gloster <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Aircraft_Company>
Meteor*was the first British
jet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_aircraft>
fighter<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighter_aircraft>and the
Allies' <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allies_of_World_War_II> first
operational jet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_aircraft>. Designed by George
Carter <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carter_(engineer)>, it first
flew in 1943 and commenced operations on 27 July 1944 with 616 Squadron of
the Royal Air Force <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force> (RAF).
The Gloster Meteor was not an aerodynamically advanced aircraft but the
Gloster design team succeeded in producing an effective jet fighter that
served the RAF and other air forces for decades. Meteors saw action with the
Royal Australian Air
Force<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Australian_Air_Force>(RAAF)
in the Korean
War <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War>, and remained in service with
numerous air forces until the 1970s. Two Meteors, *WL419* and *WA638*,
remain in service with the
Martin-Baker<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker>company as
ejection
seat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejection_seat> testbeds