[Spridgets] Hardening of Steel

Subject: [Spridgets] Hardening of Steel
From: khargreaves2 at gmail.com (Kirk Hargreaves)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:48:17 -0700
Mark,

Very interesting.  I still remember a shop teacher I had in Jr. high.

We would make large chisels and then heat them up in a big oven to be
quickly quenched in a vat of water.   Then the teacher would put the chisel
in a vice and try to crack it.  Whenever one would crack he would get this
sly smile across this face enjoying the fact that he was able to crack yet
another students chisel.  I only knew the basics of this process until your
email to the list.   Thanks for sharing.

Kirk