[Spridgets] Hardening of Steel

Subject: [Spridgets] Hardening of Steel
From: haynes386 at netzero.net (Mark Haynes)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:31:39 GMT
Kirk- this is only the 'tip of the iceberg' as it were. I spent a couple of
months working with a local blacksmith who also happens to be a three time
world hand drilling champion trying to help him perfect his hardening and
annealing process for his hand drills. Unfortunately the steel that he bought
turned out to be CHINESE! When I heard that, all I could think of was that
Frank would have been as pissed off as my friend was.
The d*** stuff had sulfur inclusions all through it, so it didn't matter how
well you did your hardening and annealing, there were always flaws not of your
making. He bought the crap from a US company purporting to be a custom
foundry-in the US- Personally I would've taken them to task on it, but that's
me.
Metallurgy was my grandfather's trade, funny how things kind of come back
around.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977