[Spridgets] No LBC - computer malware

Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC - computer malware
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (bjshov8 at tx.rr.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:06:56 -0400
I "did my time" running a Unix machine at work, I don't need any Linux.
Somtimes I think Linus Torvald should be considered a domestic terrorist- his
copy of Unix has found its way into all manner of devices, including my
$^&(*&^^ home DVR.  I remember from my Unix machine that Unix is very bad at
managing multitasking and Linux seems to be similar.  Whenever my DVR decides
it wants to do some of its own housekeeping it just completely locks out any
less serious matters such as receiving commands from the remote control or
displaying audio/video on the television.  Our Linus server at work crapped out
and it took us 2 days to get up and running again.  Our supplier was not much
help and I have not been able to find anyone else in our city (granted it's a
small town with only about 3 million residents) that can help us with it.  I
finally did enough research on my own to enable me to fix it.

Seriously though I know what you mean.  If Linux does what you need and you can
put up with it that's great.  I don't understand the matter of viruses though.
When our supplier first installed our Linux server he said that even though its
GUI has a browser we should not under any circumstances go onto the internet
with it because it was a sitting duck and completely unprotected.