[Spridgets] Rust prevention

Subject: [Spridgets] Rust prevention
From: mdrowe at optonline.net (Michael Rowe)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:16:14 -0400
One shelf of engine parts was awash in Irene, some plastic bags and boxes
leaked that shouldn't have, and some things floated in 16" of water and fell
over.  Everything that got wet is now out, rinsed, and drying in the beautiful
weather that followed .  I will cover everything with a rust preventative and
rebag, etc.

The first thought is to embalm everything in WD40, but rust is caused by
oxygen, not water.  How is WD40 as an oxygen barrier?  If I manage to keep
everything dry, what is the best barrier for stored parts?  Purchased parts are
often covered in something really gooey.

Michael Rowe
Recovering evacuee
Long Island, NY