Re: [Spridgets] Steering Rack adjustment

To: "CosmicMag1380" <cosmicmag1380@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Steering Rack adjustment
From: dwoerpel@wi.net
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:48:59 -0500 (CDT)
What Kent said.  The only other adjustment is the shims under the
"snubbers"(rack tensioners) that guide the rack itself. These are under
the nuts on top of the rack near each end.  This problem also arises if
the rack mounting shims aren't quite right. I don't think you disturbed
anything like the snubbers or rack mounts so I'm thinking the pinch bolt
or you are low on lube in the rack.

Dave W.

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Frankie Clarici 4th
> <clarici@verizon.net> wrote:
> Is there any adjustment on the steering rack?  I was driving my Sprite
> the other night and noticed the steering felt real tight. I know on my
> VW I can adjust the tension on the pinion. Is there any way to do this
> on my Sprite?
>
> Check the pinch bolt where the steering shaft connects to the rack
> right now before you drive it again! If it has worked loose, it can
> cause some really bad problems while driving...
>
> --
> Kent
> 1960 Bugeye
> 1983 Garage full of spridget parts!
> 2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget parts!!!

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums