[Spridgets] Isle of Man TT

To: SPRIDGETS <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Isle of Man TT
From: Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:35:38 -0600
OK, I know some footage is repeated but that does not take anything away
from the insanity.  Another item on my Bucket List.  Daniel, you ever
seen this in person?

http://zanylol.com/insane_race.html

But wait, there's more!

*_December 31_*

Today is, of course,***New Year's
Eve*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%E2%80%99s_Eve>, the last day
of the *Gregorian
calendar*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar>.

People across the world tonight will be linking arms at the stroke of
midnight and singing "we'll take a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang
syne", from the Scottish folk song popularized by Robert Burns.

In Scotland itself, they'll be singing it at
*Hogmanay*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay>, which is what New
Year's Eve and its celebrations are called there. It's a name derived
from an Old French word for a gift given at the New Year.

There's a tradition at Hogmanay known as "first-footing", where right
after midnight, a person from outside the house scrambles into the house
of a neighbor or friend with some small gifts---becoming the first
person to bring good fortune for the new year. In this Scottish
tradition, it's important that the first-footer is a tall dark-haired
male. Anything else could mean bad luck.

In Mexico, during *Aqo
Nuevo*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C3%B1o_Nuevo>, people eat one
grape with each of the 12 clock chimes at midnight, and make a wish for
the coming year.

In Venezuela, they wear yellow underwear for a year of good luck.

In Japan, during
*O-misoka*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cmisoka>*,*people eat soba
because long thin noodles symbolize longevity, and at midnight, temple
bells ring 108 times, matching the 108 attachments in the mind that need
to be purified before the New Year.

At midnight in Greece, families cut a cake called a
*vasilopita*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsoureki>, which has a coin
baked inside; whoever gets the coin will have a lucky year.

*/Happy New Year!
/*

Dave W.

59 :{)