Re: [Spridgets] Cobra supercar driver Peter Tryce survives 130mph

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cobra supercar driver Peter Tryce survives 130mph
From: "Mark Haynes" <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:12:14 GMT
In the vintage racing that I've done here, arm restraints are mandatory for
any open car, window screens(?) for any coupe or sedan. I always fasten the
passenger's belts when there's no one in it in the MKII, I hate getting hit
with a shoulder latch swinging around as I hammer it around a corner-It's
distracting.
I wasn't too impressed by how tight the harness was either, it seemed to allow
way too much movement of the upper body -even taking into account the loads
applied. I've always used a pull-down harness rather than a pull-up one, I
feel like you have a better shot at getting it tight. I can't move my my upper
body laterally at all in my seat when the belt is tightened properly.
I like that-paper clip rollbar! A real joke in my opinion.
Track days only require an ambulance on duty (at least where I am), that's
part of the cost of doing the track day. The corner worker is obviously NOT a
first-responder, no one with any training would have removed his helmet until
assessing his status. JMHO

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
HAN5L8016

From: WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com

Interesting.

In the UK wrist restraints are only mandatory in some series (Caterham 7s)
and for open cars drag racing including run what ya brung (rope is usually
used  for the latter).

I didn't like the look of the hoop though it does appear intact after the
accident.  It did seem the drivers head with helmet was higher than the
hoop.  In the UK no hoop or bar required for track days as far as I know  and
exemptions in racing if your car is old enough (Frogeyes are old enough
though a lot of series have a reg that overrides the national reg to make
them
have one).

I fasten my passenger harness so it looks tidy - now there's a better
reason - thanks for that.

Yep I didn't like the look of the harness bar on the hoop - forget to check
 to see how well it survived.

Corner worker (Marshall) is much less capable than race day stuff and I'll
bet a track day doesn't require a doctor to be on duty either.  I guess
that fact alone makes a trck day more dangerous than a race day.

Weslake-Monza 1330