Re: [Spridgets] Tire Size

To: lmacy@mac.com, derf247@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tire Size
From: WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:40:50 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Full-name: WeslakeMonza1330
The last time I checked either a tyre manufacturer or a wheel manufacturer
told me you can ran a 155 tyre on a 5 inch rim, in fact it was close to
optimum  for a 5 inch rim.

I've never run 165 tyres on my Sprite because I could either never get them
 in a 70 profile (only a 60 profile) or never get them with the speed
rating I  was looking for in a 70 profile.

I have run 175/70 x 13 tyres on my Sprite for over a decade if not 2
decades though the choice of tread in the speed rating I need is a lot more
limited than it was a few years ago.

If you want to use a 60 or even a 50 profile tyre you do need to consider
the effect on the gearing, especially if your car doesn't have a 5 speed
gearbox  or overdrive gearbox or a 4.22 diff and very especially if you have
both.

I'm not going to disagree about tyre wear and suggest that the tyres will
need changed because they are too old to be safely used rather because the
are worn out through high mileage.  Of course if you have a 50 series tyre
it will wear out quicker than a 70 series for any given mileage simply
because  it will have a smaller diameter.

Yep, get a well known brand (well, maybe not Firestone?) of tyre in a good
tread pattern and consider the speed rating of the tyre and what your car
is  realistically capable of.  Not that long ago a tyre fitter at a well
known  UK tyre outlet told me they didn't have a H rating but I could 'upgrade
to a T  rating.  After I told him the T was a lower rating and the replied it
 wasn't (maybe once or twice) the manager appeared and the told the fitter
I was  correct and the fitter made a sharp exit.  A T rated tyre is good for
118  mph and does my Sprite go that quick?  Well earlier this year I'm
confident  my Sprite did 116 mph and maybe quicker.  Given the weight of my
Sprite  would it matter if I exceeded the speed rating of the tyre buy a couple
of  mph?  I don't know but do guess the H rated tyre is plain and simple a
better tyre and better suited to performance motoring.

YMMV along with the tyres on your car.

Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 31/08/2013 13:32:45 GMT Daylight Time, lmacy@mac.com