Re: [Spridgets] New Mini Cooper

To: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Mini Cooper
From: Tncarnut1 <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:21:37 -0500
My ex-wife has a 05 non-S mini. She has probably put $7k in it in repairs (not
maintenance) over the past 3 or 4 years. Just last week was $1900 for exhaust.
She has had quite a few various sensors die, cooling system issues, suspension
components fail, plus regular wear items like timing components, belts, water
pump, brakes, etc. Because I no longer maintain the car, (refer back to the
'ex' part of my description of her) these have all been costly repairs. She
still loves the car because it is a blast to drive. B Each time she spends
money on it, the repair shop tells her there is nothing left to fail on the car
- she's repaired it all. Till the next new thing dies. It's am addicting car.
Even the non turbo/supercharged versions are very peppy & fun to drive.B
A year or so ago, she asked Kyle if he wanted to buy it for his first car. I
advised him to pass...

- David

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com> wrote:

I have always admired this car and as we are approaching the need for a new
or newer car I have had this car in mind . . the turbo I hear
is the way to go for the added performance.

However I recently came across Consumer Reports 10 worst cars where they
put the Mini towards the top of their list for reliability problems.

Built by BMW (right?) I was surprise to read things like:

*Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy ride
for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent
approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) . .B  less than 50k miles and a
litany of repairs. *

Is this common or sour grapes or what?B  Or limited to certain models to
avoid or years to avoid?

I believe that there are some on our list that own this car . . .

Please advise . . .

Kirk
1959 1275

spridgets@autox.team.net