Re: [Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel

To: corvallis@peoplepc.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel
From: Bob Spruck <raspruck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:26:27 -0400
Mark:

I'm not saying that the Isuzu starter is your problem, but when I put
one on my '67 Midget vintage race car a few years back it came AWFUL
close to the passenger foot well. Even though the car had been recently
painted, I heated the corner of the foot well with a propane torch and
took a really BFH and collapsed the edge for what I though was the right
length. Then I spray painted it with a BRG that was pretty close. You
really can't see the dents or the color difference where it is so far
down and hidden. That section is double walled yet strong.  I have never
had an interference problem and I assume a race engine twists more than
a street car engine. But, I also installed a homemade engine stabilizer bar.

When I finish my '72 Midget, I plan to use an Isuzu starter because of
the strength, reliability, and cost and I will once again be sure it
doesn't interfere with the body by doing the above mods. Might be worth
checking the transmission mounts and the four attaching bolts. Also the
place where the header/exhaust pipe goes through the chassis under the
carbs.

Let us know what you find.

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA