[Spridgets] Doh!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Doh!
From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 00:04:43 -0700

--000000000000ae58f405ceffbe54

     I just replaced the fuel tank on my Bugeye today.  The coating inside
the tank was breaking down and clogging the fuel filter.  The fuel pump was
also replaced with an ECCO pump.  The location of the pump was changed.  I
had a Facet pump screwed to the top of the arch above the axle.  It was a
ways to draw the fuel, but the Facet did OK while it worked.  The ECCO pump
was installed to the vertical panel in front of the axle.  Closer to the
level of the tank pickup outlet tube.  If any of you have installed a fuel
tank in a Bugeye, you know what a bitch it is to route the filler neck out
the hole in the rubber bung in the rear deck lid.  Not a one person job.  I
was lucky a friend dropped by while I was in the middle of the
installation.
     After all was installed and the fuel tubing was re-routed to
accomodate the new pump I put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and
turned the key.  The fuel pump started clicking, but still no fuel to the
engine.  What the heck? At this point my back was starting to hurt.  I had
skinned my right knee and my neck was sore.  Somehow being 70 and getting
under a Bugeye pushing a fuel tank in place  is not the physical therapy I
was hoping for.  At this point I said screw it.  It was time for supper and
I decided to take a whack at it tomorrow.
    Well at about 10 PM, I had a thought.  Did I hook up the fuel lines
backward?  So, I went out to the garage and lay down on the floor to take a
look.  What I found had me going "Doh" like Homer Simpson.  First thing I
noticed was the black wire was ground to the body and the red wire to the
power connection.  My Bugeye is a positive ground car. Tomorrow I switch
the wires.  "Doh!"
Mikke MacLean

--000000000000ae58f405ceffbe54

ugeye today.=C2=A0 The coating inside the tank was breaking down and cloggi=
ng the fuel filter.=C2=A0 The fuel pump was also replaced with an ECCO pump=
.=C2=A0 The location of the pump was changed.=C2=A0 I had a Facet pump scre=
wed to the top of the arch above the axle.=C2=A0 It was a ways to draw the =
fuel, but the Facet did OK while it worked.=C2=A0 The ECCO pump was install=
ed to the vertical panel in front of the axle.=C2=A0 Closer to the level of=
 the tank pickup outlet tube.=C2=A0 If any of you have installed a fuel tan=
k in a Bugeye, you know what a bitch it is to route the filler neck out the=
 hole in the rubber bung in the rear deck lid.=C2=A0 Not a one person job.=
=C2=A0 I was lucky a friend dropped by while I was in the middle of the ins=
tallation.=C2=A0=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0After all was i=
nstalled and the fuel tubing was re-routed to accomodate the new pump I put=
 a couple of gallons of gas in the tank and turned the key.=C2=A0 The fuel =
pump started clicking, but still no fuel to the engine.=C2=A0 What the heck=
? At this point my back was starting to hurt.=C2=A0 I had skinned my right =
knee and my neck was sore.=C2=A0 Somehow being 70 and getting under a Bugey=
e pushing a fuel tank in place=C2=A0 is not the physical therapy I was hopi=
ng for.=C2=A0 At this point I said screw it.=C2=A0 It was time for supper a=
nd I decided to take a whack at it tomorrow.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Well at about 10 PM, I had a thought.=C2=A0 Did I hook u=
p the fuel lines backward?=C2=A0 So, I went out to the garage and lay down =
on the floor to take a look.=C2=A0 What I found had me going &quot;Doh&quot=
; like Homer Simpson.=C2=A0 First thing I noticed was the black wire was gr=
ound to the body and the red wire to the power connection.=C2=A0 My Bugeye =
is a positive ground car. Tomorrow I switch the wires.=C2=A0 &quot;Doh!&quo=

--000000000000ae58f405ceffbe54--

--===============4788998836714206888==

spridgets@autox.team.net

--===============4788998836714206888==--