Re: throwin' frisbees at my car?

To: lrw@aop.com (LARRY WRIGHT)
Subject: Re: throwin' frisbees at my car?
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@aimnet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 23:29:03 -0700 (PDT)
At 07:33 AM 4/16/96 EDT, you wrote:
> Anybody ever modify snap-on rings to accept a screw? Or do I need
>a new pair of rings? I certainly don't want this to happen
>again...
>
>Larry Wright, Maryland     "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"

This is quite simple really if you can fabricate some simple pieces.  The
hardest part is drilling through or removing the spring steel clips at the
bottom of the rings.  Or you can choose a "new" location for the screw.  In
either case the ring must be drilled and counter sunk.  The angle of the
drilling should allow the screw to be approximately fifteen degrees from
vertical (inward at the top,toward the rear).  The inside piece can be made
from an "L" shaped piece of  sheetmetal and welded (off the car) riveted or
screwed to the headlight bucket.  Make some pieces from heavy paper to mock
up your design to assure that you will clear all other components.  Then
locate this bracket in a way that will align the screw receiver portion with
the hole in the ring.  When your sure you've got the correct shape and
alignment, attach the bracket to the bucket.  Install the ring and align
correctly.  Using an awl, scribe or similiar tool, held at the angle the
screw will be penetrating the assembly, reach through the hole in the ring
and scratch the location of the hole on the bracket.  Finally drill this
hole.  The hole size will depend on the size and kind of screw you will be
using and if you want to use a clip-on sheetmetal nut.  Paint as required,
and they'll never fly off again, if you keep the screws tight.
Tom Hall