TIGER'S RE: DMV & SMOGGING.

To: tigers@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: TIGER'S RE: DMV & SMOGGING.
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 17:02:19 PST
     All;

         -Does anyone out there in the TIGER/ALPINE realm know how DMV
          determines what model year a car falls into? I got my car
          smogged on title transfer, but when registering it DMV has
          it as: MODEL YR 67, DATE FIRST SOLD: 67. (CA). Since DMV
          says it's a '67, I need to have it re-smogged every 2 years.

         -Wouldn't a '66 be exempt from now on, except for future
          title transfer?

         -However, in Norm Miller's incredible and extremely scholarly
          reference book, my car shows a mfg. date of 08-08-66, which
          coincides to the VIN # of B382002328.

         -I thought I once heard long ago the "cutoff" was every October
          & that DMV considered the model year to run from October to the
          following September 30.

         -I have had past vehicles where MODEL YR was 1 year previous to
          DATE FIRST SOLD.

         -Am I needlessly pursuing this? Has anyone else gone through this?
          Am I wasting my time?

          P.S. DMV also has MODEL NAME as "ROOTS". (sigh)

                            Thx,

                                  Phil LeBrun