Tiger/Alpine Springs

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger/Alpine Springs
From: Jay Laifman <JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 29 Apr 96 13:39:11 EDT
When I rebuilt my front end, I kept the original springs and bought the
CAT rubber insulator that caps the top of the spring.  I did not tighten
the A-arms until the engine, etc was all back in the car.  The only thing
is that my car now sits a little higher in the front.  I am worried that
the CAT rubber insulator is thicker than stock - though side by side
comparison did not reveal any visually apparent differences.  Sunbeam
Specialties lists the same part number for both Tiger and Alpine.

Actually, I think it looks pretty good - it sort of reduces the impact of
the fins.  On the other hand, I figure it is not as good for cornering.
I know there is a Ford insulator that is thinner than many put in their
cars.  But, then that would lower the front and accent the fins.

Does any one have any thoughts?  Could it be that the springs, when
finally unloaded from the car and put back in, ended up being stretched
too far?  I really don't think so.  I did not jump up and down a lot on
the car before I tightened the a-arms.  But, I understand that if they
are tightened up wrong, the rubber will just rip so that it can sit in
the right place.

Thanks.

Jay

Jay S. Laifman