Re[2]: Girling grease?

To: Tigers@dwoolf.demon.co.uk, Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Girling grease?
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 02 May 96 09:36:25 PST

Anti-freeze is best. Any scuba divers out there? Recall what you usually do to
your mask before a dive? Works good on radiator hoses too.

Subject: Re: Girling grease?
Author:  Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com> at ~INTERNET
Date:    5/2/96 9:15 AM

> In message <960501124708_104337338@emout07.mail.aol.com>, C5813@AOL.COM
> writes
> >
> >A recent tech tip suggests using "Girling Grease" prior to installing
> >radiator hoses. This is said to make the removal process easier later on.
> >Anybody ever try this? Is "Girling Grease" available anywhere, or does a
> >suitable substitute exist? I'd love to remove hoses without using a knife...
> >
> >Paul Brownell
> >

> Hello,
> A old time garage mechanic told me his tip was to use Petroleum Jelly.
> Regards,

Girling Grease is available, but probably a bit expensive for this use.
I found some at a local speed shop that sells Girling master and slave
cylinders.  A very small tube of the stuff cost $11.  Guess that's why
the tubes in the rebuild kits are so dinky.

I supposed for the small amounts involved it doesn't matter, but isn't
petroleum jelly unfriendly to rubber?  I usually use soap or a bit of
antifreeze to lubricate water hoses during installation.

Roland