Re[2]: Girling grease?

To: Tigers@dwoolf.demon.co.uk, cobra@cdc.hp.com,
Subject: Re[2]: Girling grease?
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Fri, 03 May 96 09:37:12 PST

     Most O-rings I've worked with over the years are either VITON or
     BUNA, trade names for compounds resitant to most stuff. Only in the
     semicondutor etch world did I encounter real weird rubber compounds.
     Rubber brake parts are real close to "natural" and have no noticeable
     protectants/inhibitors.

     The ABSOLUTE best & CHEAPEST general cleaner I use on brake jobs is
     laquer thinner. It cleans ALL  grease and grime off the backing
     plates, springs, etc. and leaves NOTHING behind to attack & degrade
     the rubber over time later on. Laquer thinner is relatively cheap
     and I usually buy it in 5-gallons. It has a fairly low flash-point,
     so use with good ventilation and away from a garage water heater or
     other appliances that generate a good current spike when turning on
     such as a garage refrigerator!