Lucas Wiper Rebuild

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Wiper Rebuild
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 12:49:26 -0700
Someone posted a number of questions yesterday which included a couple
on the workings and rebuilding of windshield wiper motors.  I had
planned to responded to this then but blew away the post before getting
around to it.

I'll need to rebuild my wiper motor one of these days too, so I've been
doing some casual research on the subject; i.e., whenever I happened on
something I squirreled it away for later use.  Since someone is already
in the process of a rebuild, this might be a good chance to see if any
of the information I've collected is useful.  I'll start by assuming
that Tigers and Alpines came with a garden variety 2-speed Lucas wiper
motor similar to the one my car came with.  If that's not the case,
then there's probably not much point in reading on.

This subject came up in the ACOC newsletter a couple of years back when
an Ace owner couldn't figure out the wiring for his wiper motor.  I've
kept the various published responses and can make copies available.
Also my Cobra manual has a pretty decent exploded view of a Lucas DR3
2-speed wiper motor and a schematic showing the interconnections between
the motor and the switch.  This is for a Cobra, of course, but the wiper
wires are color coded, so assuming your wiper motor has similarly color
coded wires, this diagram might be useful.

A week or so ago someone on the british-cars list published the address
for their personal web site.  This site included some technical articles
that had been written for a Morgan club newsletter.  One of the articles
was on how to rebuild a Lucas wiper motor.  For some reason I didn't
keep the web site address, but I did keep a copy of the article.  I
believe some diagrams were meant to be included with the article, but I
don't have them.

And for totally shot wipers, you can still buy new Lucas wiper motors
from Brooklands, Inc.  I believe Brooklands also sells wheel boxes.
Thank God for all of those replicas out there.

Brooklands Inc.
503 Corporate Sq.
1500 NW 62nd St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
954-776-2748
954-772-8383 FAX

Brooklands has some nice free catalogs with lots and lots of goodies in
them, but their stuff is pricey.

Roland