RE: TR4 and Crank start

To: "'LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com'" <LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com>,
Subject: RE: TR4 and Crank start
From: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 20:11:11 -0700
        I used mine once.....Only once !!.  There was nothing wrong with the
car, I just thought I would try it, since the car was equipped with it.
Fortunately, my 1592 was very tired and would turn very easily, and it
did start, but my God was it a lot of work!  Since the engine was tired
and had very low compression, it had to be spun fairly fast for it to
even fire.  It was far easier to just give the little car a shove, about
three steps, hop in and compression start it in first gear.  Worked
every time (when warm....had to go a little faster when cold).

        Has anyone else ever noticed that the hand crank adapter nut on the
crank pulley comes lose frequently?  My 65 used to get this tinkling,
rattling sound, about every 4 to 5 months.  It was this hand crank
adapter that would come lose and rattle on the crank when starting or a
very low rpm like at idle sometimes.  Was mine the only one that did
this?

Rich