Re: Anti-cavitation Water Pump

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anti-cavitation Water Pump
From: "STEPHEN SALATA USAET(UTC -04:00)" <usfmdgbj@ibmmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 09:16:28 EDT
The water pump was purchased from a local (Detroit area) "accumulator" of
Sunbeam parts 14 years ago.  I believe he had them rebuilt locally.
But, the basics should be covered.  The condition exists on both this
low mileage engine, and a similar previous low mileage 302, but not a
rebuilt 260.  Even though I am running a Holley electric pump (in spare
tire well) and a pressure regulator near the carb, it can vapor lock when
the HOT engine is dropped to under 1500 RPM.  It sometimes also boils the
gas in the carb after the engine is turned off!  To date, I have installed:
a high density 3 row radiator core, wide 6 blade stainless flex fan (with
original shroud), electric pusher fan, blocked off horn holes in radiator
support, sealed bottom of shroud to crossmember to prevent hot air
recirculation, and tried 160 deg thermostats and plain thermostat restrictor
plates with various hole diameters.  The engine won't actually boil over if
the electric fan (thermostatically controlled) is working, but will run to
230 deg after maybe 1/2 hour of running at all speeds.  Engine RPM at 65 MPH
is about 2700 RPM.  The cooling changes were put in place one at at time.

To help stop vapor lock, all the lines from the pump have been carefully routed
away from the exhaust and covered in a high tech insulating wrap.  The carb
(Holly 4 bbl) has a 1/2" phenolic spacer under it, along with a GM carb heat
shield under it.  The hood is a LAT with the exhaust vent in back.  Also,
the heat crossover in the intake is blocked off.

Engine timing is set at 12 deg BTDC, with 36 degrees total.  The only things
that I can guess that may still be causing the problem are that the flex fan
is actually flattening out at speed and blocking air flow, or that the rebuilt
radiator is defective or just plain inefficient.  The questions about the
anti-cavitation water pump were a result of my trying to figure out what may
be different on my car as opposed to 95% of the other Tigers out there.
..... ANY IDEAS?

*** Forwarding note from I1922283--IBMMAIL  06/04/96 02:25 ***