Re: Anti-cavitation Water Pump

To: Modtiger@engravers.com (Tom Hall)
Subject: Re: Anti-cavitation Water Pump
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 96 11:52:50 PDT

> At 09:42 AM 6/3/96 EDT, you wrote:
> >Does anyone have any experience with running the so called
> "anti-cavitation"
> >style water pump?  It was used on the 302 Boss engine (among others).  It
> has
> >curved impeller blades instead of the common straight blades.  I'm running
>
> >this pump on my 302 Mk.1, along with every cooling trick I can think of,
> and
> >it still runs 230 degrees and vapor locks the carburetor at 70 deg ambient
>
> >temperatures.  Maybe this style pump is contributing to this problem.
>

> Stephen,
>
> I've run this pump for years, and I'm curious, where did you find one to fit
> a Tiger.  I had to make mine from SVO parts, including pulling the old
> impeller, changing the seal, and pressing the new impeller on to the shaft.
> A lot of effort, but I consider it worth it to reduce the cavitation common
> to straight blade pumps.  This is particularly true with 3.54 and up gears.
>

> Tom Hall

Tom, you've piqued my interest.  I had planned to post a question
similar to Stephen's, but he more or less beat me to the punch.  I
figured I'd just wait and see what responses he got.

A few weeks back I asked about a water pump for my HiPo 289, more
specifically where I could get one.  I was all set to buy an after
market pump, but decided to look into getting a Ford pump first to keep
the motor as original looking as possible.  I finally located a rebuilt
pump, but when I went to pick it up, I noticed that the impeller had 5
straight blades and was made of stamped sheet steel.  The impeller on my
old pump is a one piece casting with 7 (I think) curved blades.  Is this
the type of impeller you are referring to?  Or is the SVO impeller also
stamped sheet steel?  I was told by the clerk at the parts place selling
this pump that it was the only type available for my motor.  I decided
to pass on it.

So, I'm kind of back to getting an after market pump, but maybe mine can
be rebuilt?  To tell the truth, it seems okay to me, but it has been
sitting in my garage for 20+ years so I don't feel comfortable using it.

Roland