Rob's racer

To: RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov (Kempinski, Robert M.)
Subject: Rob's racer
From: lrw@aop.com (LARRY WRIGHT)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 11:21 EDT
Rob said:
>Here's a topic for a thread - what would you do if you came upon a
>complete but totally disassembled Alpine, with totally bare shell,
>previously dipped and coated with epoxy primer, no structural rust and very
>minor dents, and you really wanted a specialized autocross car?

>Juice up the Alpine motor?

Relatively viable option, especially if you wanted to stay in
a particular class. What do they run in? Is there still a C-mod class? Eh,
rules are probably different where you are anyway.

>Replace it with a V-8?

And destroy the handling? (Ackermann probs)

>Mod the suspension?

_MY_ opinion is that auto-xing in a stock car is great if all
you want is stock class trophies. If you want to actually
enjoy it, mod the car. Also, are you willing to flare the
fenders to stuff big tires on it? That might dictate how
far you want to go on the suspension.

>Any opinions?

Consider alternative motors. The Capri V6, as in the TE/AE
newsletter, sounds great. Maybe a Japanese four, one that
has lots of hi-po goodies available, might be nice. The SR20DE
in my Nissan SE-R would make an Alpine scream! Of
course, you might end up in a class where you have no chance
at all.

BTW: auto-x is the one of the few forms of racing I can think
of that has no "historic" or "vintage" aspect. Or is there? Or
should there be?  Would a Historic-only auto-x draw entries?
Or spectators? Not talkin' 'crosses at one-marque events; more
like a VSRA kind of thing.

Larry Wright, Maryland     "I can't get no-- Satis-traction"
1964 Sunbeam Tiger Mk 1   (302/285, T-5)
1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R       ($TB, 17d BTDC)
1992 Toyota pick-up             (Bilstein, Yoko AVS)
ph 301.386.7979                      fax 301.386.5333
and e-mail at home now!      Larry.Wright@mail.wdn.com
(And I'm looking for a tow-behind cement mixer. Any
ideas?)