Re: Rob's racer

To: "Spontelli, Ramon" <rs11@elsegundoca.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Rob's racer
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:57:41 +0100
Larry and Ramon said:

>>And Larry said:

>>  BTW: auto-x is the one of the few forms of racing I can think
>  of that has no "historic" or "vintage" aspect.

>Hoooray for that!  For my money, you can take all that "vintage" and
>"historic" doo-doo and jolly well keep it on the road racing >circuits,
>wherin the term  "parade-laps" would seem more appropriate than
>"racing."

>Ramon

Hi Ramon.  Jay has mentioned you often, and I hope to meet you now
that I have the Tiger and will try to participate.  As to the
"parade-laps", my wife Linda and I quite enjoyed the VARA events in
Palm Springs, and while some of the cars were doing just that, there
were some pitched battles between Mustangs, Cobras, a Jag XK140
coupe!, with lotus's (loti?) skipping in and out like mayflies.  It
was actually a very enjoyable weekend.   This year I just couldn't
talk myself into a "Pomona Weekend".

With regard to autocross not being "historic", I can only recall that
the English "Trials", which included off-road muddy hill climbs, was a
very classic event and got Sydney Allard started.  I still drewl (sp)
for a J2-X.  In my new '52 M.G. TD I participated in our own "English
Trials" with our MG Car Club of America (pretty presumptious then) and
what we called "Gymkhanas (sp?) from the horsie set.  The timed runs
between configured traffic cones were the scene.  We had some pretty
wicked shapes and I got best time of day in a freinds new XK120 in a
course spaced for M.G.'s.  And he's still a friend!.  I think the term
"Autocross" appeared in many of the British auto magazines of that
era, and although I haven't attended one yet, I believe your running a
closed course single driver angainst a clock, with maybe handicaps for
vehicle and driver.  That was our m.o. in the 50's.  Hope you don't
mind the reminiscenses, but I wouldn't have bought the Tiger if I
hadn't wanted to get through MY mid-life crises in style and
nostalgia.  Even if they are 10 years newer than "my classics".

Steve
B9472289