re: autocross.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: re: autocross.
From: "Dan Doornbos, Thin Films Eng. 505-893-6149 pg0104." <DDOORNBOS@rr5.rr.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 12:28:51 PDT
Several issues ago in hot rod there was an issue about this guy who races a
rear engine gasser or something like that.  He said (keep in mind this is
for an 8 second quarter mile).  Take the alternater, take the battery.  He
also runs a little Yugo radiator between the fram rails.  Also he saw no
advantage to running an electric water pump.  This guy as I recall does a lot
of project and parts development, and really is into checking out what is a
worth while upgrade.

As far as an auto cross car, maxing out the class is critical right?  I mean
read the rule book and understand that after what changes you make place in
compitition with what other cars.  As far as an ultimite auto cross goes I
would think breaks would be critical at all four corners, as well as go-cart
type suspension.  I would also think that maybe a close ratio gear box may not
be good.  I'm thinking that an engine that runs really strong over a wide RPM
range (honda/acura motor with power ban from 3,500-8,500rpm would be great
along with a steep gear in first for the launch, and kinda tall to second so
that maybe you could drive the whole corse in 2nd gear, no shifting in the
gas the whole time kinda drive.  But this would depend on how your area sets
up its cones.

Just my thoughts.
dan