Re: A simple tech tip

To: NamasteRH@aol.com
Subject: Re: A simple tech tip
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:03:26 +0100
Seth Johnson says:

>There is a hazard in mounting inside screw (early) taillight lenses >to the
>taillightassembly with the self tapping screws used for that >purpose. I
>learned from experience.Seems that the undersize "boss" >holes cast into the
>N.O.S. plastic lens have grown verybrittle over >the years and when you force
>the self-tapping screw in, the plastic >breaks away,leaving you with no way to
>mount the lens.
>   I took a screwdriver outfitted with the claw-tip designed to hold >the
>screw inplace, and heated the screw with a propane torch-hot, but >not
>glowing. This allowed the self treading screw to tap the boss >without
>shattering. Not a big deal perhaps, but it
>IS difficult to buy ONE amber taillight lens.

I just bought and installed a set of inside screw amber turn signals,
and a single running/stop light from Sunbeam Specialties.  They are
available singly.  One of the light housings was an outside type, used
ands an inside, with original outside-mount machine screws mounted
from the inside toward the outside of the housing, rather than tapered
sheet metal.  The new lenses accepted the machine screw and
self-threaded.  Just luck, I quess, as I should have used the sheet
metal type screw.  Anyway it worked.

Steve Laifman
B947289