Re: The 215 thread/ Super 'Crosser

To: tigers@autox.team.net, lrw@aop.com
Subject: Re: The 215 thread/ Super 'Crosser
From: Keith Bradshaw <bradshaw@utdallas.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:41:41 -0500
                   Considering how few turbo cars there were in the mid-70's,
this must've
         been an ambitious undertaking-- unless we be talkin' about using an
         entire Olds Jetfire set-up. Nope, ambitious anyway, even then.

NOt really, the turbo was mounted on the intake manifold with a waste gate
setup.
The carburetor was a sidedraft Carter feeding into the horizontal turbo...so it
was
a very neat little package, as the engine was a 10.5:1 compression ratio the
waste gate
was needed, (this wasn't used on the Corvair which had the same turbo and carb).
ALSO a little tank of water/alcohol called Jetfire Fluid (I think) which was
metered in
under full boost...when the tank went empty a float closed a circuit and
retarded the
timing (by using a second set of points)  so as to avoid an unprotected boost.

Also GM didn't use an intercooler at all.

         Doing the wagon thing means giving up IRS, but considering the only
         way to make 'em handle was to stiffen them so that the springs didn't
         spring no more, I guess that was no loss. But Jeez, four doors-- Ugh!

Hey, I had a Datsun 510 wagon. it looked clean compared to that curvy 1200 cc
Corolla.
However, BRE racing used the 4 door chassis for their cars as the 4 door
chassis was more
rigid than  the 2 door.  Just put the 2 door body on.  I think this was used
more by
rabid rallyists than anyone else. Guys like Eric Jones ( I think he ran 510's).

mBrad