Re: The Grand Sport Corvettes

To: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Subject: Re: The Grand Sport Corvettes
From: "G.S.Sutherland" <G.S.Sutherland@phil.hull.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:09:50 +0100 (BST)
+ -Thx. much. Couple newer questions. The Grand Sport I saw running
+ looked to have a shorter wheelbase, and I was told later it was 3/4 of
+ the stock Corvette w/b. Was this the original configuration or was
+ this done in it's change into the "roadster" version? Same source also
+ said the 3 were scrapped, the one I saw was the only car still
+ running, with the last one in the proverbial barn somewhere being used
+ as a chicken coop.

        I'm not sure whether any of the Grand Sports were actually
scrapped, although 2-3 were converted into roadsters which involved having
their roofs chopped off, and a wrap-around screen, some sort of aero-bar
for roll-over protection added. If your car retained the full roof, then
its probable that it was one of the origionals, and hence this shorter
wheelbase would have been stock.

        Sorry I can't help further. Perhaps you should forward your
enquiries onto the Corvette news group...

+ -Didn't DUNTOV go on to sell aftermarket stuff later? (1960's/1970's)
+ I seem to recall at that time they were the "hot" set-up in cams,
+ along with ISKY, before all the other players entered the field.

        Again, pass. Although Duntov more-or-less retired from GM at about
this time due to ill health (I think), so it's conceivable. The DUNTOV
head that was used on some post-war Ford motors was his invention though.

                Graeme

PS      Isn't this a little wierd: An American asking a Brit about an
        American car on a British car mailing list, or is it just me?