Air Cleaners, etc.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Cleaners, etc.
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 07:02:03 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     In certain circles I have a reputation as "Mr. Stock", but this is
     getting out of hand.

     Let's look back over the last few months.  We've talked about heater
     valves, and we seemed glad that Tiger Tech. is reproducing them.  And
     nobody asked them to stamp "Repro" on them.

     We've talked about tires, but I don't recall anyone asking where to
     get those skinny textile belted OEM Dunlops.

     We've talked about lights, but I couldn't give away my old Lucas
     Sealed beams. (OK, eventually I did.)

     News of reproduction oil filter setups was not condemned.

     Dashboards.  Need I say more?

     And nobody has asked Martha Wheat to change the stitching or stamp
     "MW" all over her stuff so it will differ from original.

     So why is there so much complaining about the possibility of
     reproduction air cleaners?  I have an original, and I'm glad they
     might be reproduced.  It would make me feel a little more comfortable
     about leaving my hood open at shows.

     It's not like God or Shelby himself hand crafted the originals.  Some
     underling designer was probably charged with delivering the cheapest
     quickest air cleaner solution possible.

     Sure, the B+W HP deskjet I bought a couple years back was about $100
     more than a color Deskjet costs today, and don't ask me about
     Intergraph stock, OK?  Prices change, and we can't predict the future.
     All those Cobra copies have just ruined the market for originals,
     right Roland?

     So, go ahead.  Make them exact duplicates, or even sneak in a couple
     improvements where it doesn't show.

     Stu