Re[2]: 5 speed Tranny Conversions

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Jim Parent <76276.1555@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re[2]: 5 speed Tranny Conversions
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 11:36:57 PST
     All;

     -And I also believe the input shaft housings are different.

     -When I "dumped" a 289 into my '66 Econoline & mounted the 4-speed
     shifter IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE HOUSING (ask me off-line about my
     8-foot long shift linkage & rod bushings to make it shift smoothly!),
     the input shaft housing is where I had my only problem.

-The 4-speed was a top-loader from a 'XX year Cyclone GT/with 390. The input
shaft fit fine into the clutch disk and I encountered no other problems about
length, no. of splines, throw-out bearing match, or anything else

Except: the input shaft housing was a larger diameter than the hole in the
bellhousing. I just chucked it into a lathe and turned off about the 1/4" or so
it needed to fit smoothly. There still was enough "meat" so strength around the
bolt holes wasn't sacrificed. Output shaft, etc. was not a problem. I went and
got a driveshaft from a 3-ton truck, put in my driveshaft/tranny yoke, and
measured the length driveshaft I needed. For about $30.00 I had a custom
driveshaft.

I was fortunate in that I collected all the pieces ahead of time so I could see
if I had any fit-up problems while I drove the car with the 289 mated to the C-4
that came stock in the Econoline.

                         Phil