Deadly Defects and lots more

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Deadly Defects and lots more
From: Jim Parent <76276.1555@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 03:52:47 -0400
Tom,

I can’t believe what I read!!!

You’re incredulous because someone threatens to sue someone because they
built crap?  What a perfect reason to use the legal system for the reason
it was intended.  To seek recourse for failure to perform.

I can’t believe that anyone would propose that its OK to build junk just
because the junk builders are the only game in town.

I admit that I am not a "technically literate old-timer" so I am sure that
puts me on the outside looking in but to suggest that it OK so supply known
defective parts makes no sense to me.  Does that apply to aircraft too?
Some of those workhorses are almost as old at our cars.

As a fellow engineer I am not sure what a "elementary and classic design
fault" is but it sure sounds like something that any ethical manufacturer
should not continue to put out if it is known.  How would that work with
heart valves?  Or is there a list of products it’s OK to dump on an
unsuspecting public and a list that must be engineered correctly and
responsibly?

While it makes sense that original parts can be reaching the end of their
useful life with regard to fatigue loading; I would damn well expect that
parts that I buy (or make) will perform the job as originally intended; or
exceed that standard.  I think that is called implied warranty.  We all
accept risk when we drive vintage cars.  Do the writers of the recent
threads on roll bars and seat belts accept the idea that such equipment may
or may not work as they expect and it is purely caveat emptor?  We all
think it’s cute when we have to bash our fuel pumps to keep the engine
running and are continually looking for smoke leaks in our electrical
systems but those are, for the most part, minor inconveniences.  Structural
failure is not.

Encouraging manufacturers to deny responsibility for their products does no
one but the manufacturers any good.  There is no incentive to improve.  My
bet is that these manufacturers are not capable of any ISO certification; a
minimal standard if there ever was one.  Does entry into the inner circle
of Tiger owners require that we all magniflux every bolt we buy?  I hope
that this hobby is not that elite.

While it may be a major problem in this country that people sue at the drop
of a hat, it a far bigger problem relative to America’s continued success
that people accept responsibility for actions taken.

If I were given the chance to either continue to buy a known defective part
or to prevent an injury to myself, my wife or my child my response is
obvious.

Paul,  I for one understand what you feel and support you 100%.

I think the concept of funding an applied research program to design and
manufacture critical components is a great idea.  That is a very positive
solution that would involve the very people (us) who have a vested interest
in the output of the effort.  I, for one, would be willing to discuss
incorporating such an enterprise.  The number of people that build after
market custom chassis for hot rods is staggering.  They deal with the
liability and responsibility fairly well.  How do they do it?