More Deadly Defects

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: More Deadly Defects
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 09:35:43 -0600
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text

     I went back and read the text of Paul's original fulcrum pin note. It
     doesn't sound to me that he is planning to sue anyone.  The only legal
     reference concerned what might have happened had the part broken at a
     higher speed.

     Instead, he is trying to notify the Sunbeam world about the problem he
     encountered, and unearth as much information about it as possible, to
     spare others.  Well done, Paul.

     I've been messing with Sunbeams since '77, and I've heard about shock
     towers and ball joints, but this is the first I can remember hearing
     about Fulcrum pins.  If this is such a well known problem, why haven't
     we heard from more people?  Is it an Alpine problem too?  What have
     been the circumstances of other failures?  Lets get the info flowing.

     Yes, should thank our luck stars for guys like Tom, Rick, Curt, and
     the even the folks at Victoria, for going to the trouble to make and
     supply the parts we need. But, in this case, I think NO part is better
     than an unreliable part.

     A research program is not needed.  All we need is for one M. E. with
     the right flavor of CAD/FEA software to simulate the part and the
     stresses.  (Sorry, I'm an EE.)  The problem areas should jump right
     out.  I'll bet there's someone already on the list who could do it.

     Stu Brennan