RE: Smog Protests

To: "Richard Atherton (Entex)" <a-richat@MICROSOFT.com>,
Subject: RE: Smog Protests
From: lallegrucci@westpub.com
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 96 22:22:58 -0600
Regarding old clunker smog laws.  I know I've heard it somewhere that 80
percent
of the pollution attributed to your average motor vehicle is produced during
its
manufacture.  Assuming a ten year lifespan for a car, you could drive your old
car forty years before equalling the amount of pollution created during the
production of a new car.  Many enviornmentally concerned citizens are being fed
limited staistics which ignore the enviornmental costs of production: mining
ore, refining, transporting raw mterials, machining, chemical factories, heck,
even recycling requires melting it down again.    I don't advocate the
cessation
of all new manufacturing, just a rational view of the really big picture
regarding clunker laws.  It would seem to be in the best interest of certain
parties ( ie GM,Ford,Chrysler and the related industries) to encourage the
production and purchase of newer enviornmentally frendly vehicles.  These same
parties make serious contributions to many politicians'.  Hmmmm.

Brian Corrigan
67 Alpine V