Re: Clutch Slave

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Slave
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:21:04 -0700
Bill Cartus wrote;
 >Has anyone used another clutch slave other than the ones sold by the
 >vendors for a Tiger? And is it possible to re-drill the existing unit
 >enough to kill the pits , then get a larger diameter rubber on the
 >old piston? Or should I just spend the $$$ and keep it factory? Does
 >anyone sell a kit any more (haven't seen any)? My honing was
 >reasonably successful, but can't find a new rubber. Condoms won't
 >work I knew what you were thinking!).

Well Bill, I'm still new to the list and to Tigers in general, but, not
to slave cylinders.  What I've done before is to determine the exact
diameter of the cylinder (measure the piston with a micrometer or other
accurate scale), then head down to a friendly (read: not too busy) auto
supply and have a go at the catalog for wheel cylinders and slave
cylinders - most of listings used to indicate the diameter of the
cylinder for each application.  You should be able to, at least, match
the cup with a wheel cylinder kit of the same diameter - the cups are
all pretty generic, and probably also find that the boot fits as well.
If not, perhaps you can reuse the old boot which is only there to keep
contamination out.

Happy hunting,

Don Daves          <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA