re: Seat belts and LAT-70 spinner needed

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Seat belts and LAT-70 spinner needed
From: Mark W Olson <Mark_W_Olson@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 96 07:48:00 PDT
---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: tigers-owner@autox.team.net at SMTPGATE
Date: 10/11/96 8:11AM
*To: tigers@autox.team.net at SMTPGATE
Subject: Seat belts and LAT-70 spinner needed

Text item:

Rick,

Your question about the seat belts prompts me to recall my seat belt
restoration saga from a few years ago.

My Tiger came to me with GM seat belts, go figure.  Since I am a
perfectionist (although my car doesn't show it yet) restorer type, I had
to have original.  Rick McLeod at Sunbeam Specialties sold me a used
pair, which I planned to have restored by one of the Hemmings restorers.

I found there were two restorers: Snake Oyl in Texas and another company
called SWAS in New Mexico.  The name "Snake Oyl" put me off, so I called
the guy from New Mexico.  He promised he could match the weave of any
belt and said it would take a few weeks and about $100 to get the job
done.  He didn't have, however, the little white seat belt labels.
(perfectionist, remember)

So I took some time and reproduced the labels, then shipped the lot off
to SWAS.

(Tip #1: Rick now stocks Roberk 1966 reproduction seat belt labels at
Sunbeam Specialties.)  If he ever does a new catalog, you will all see
that fact.)

After a few weeks, I called to see what kind of progress was being made.
It took several calls to get the guy and he said there was no one in his
area who could do the copper plating necessary to prepare the pot metal
pieces for chrome plating.  I asked him to ship them to me so I could
get them plated here.

(Tip #2: San Jose Plating, San Jose, CA, can do all the plating you
need, $50 minimum charge.  Be sure to ask the restorer if he can chrome
plate both steel and pot-metal before you make a deal.)

After several calls, I finally got the parts back and they were promptly
plated.  I sent them back to New Mexico.  To make a very long story
somewhat shorter, It took me month after month of calling to finally get
the seat belts back.  It ultimately took about a year for the whole
project and about $150.

The results: mixed.  They look real nice, but SWAS was inconsistent in
the way he sewed the labels in and the material he used had a
significantly different weave.  These are probably things that only I
(and maybe four other people) would notice, but it bugs the heck out of
me.

(Tip #3: Try Snake Oyl if you decide to restore seat belts.  And then
let us know how well they worked for you.

Mark

Author:  tigers-owner@autox.team.net at SMTPGATE
Date:    10/11/96 8:11 AM

Greetings, Listers:

I am preparing to put my Tiger on the road (for the first time in a
REALLY long time) and would like to have seat belts in it.  Someone
please tell me the proper locations for the attachment of the belts.
Near as I can tell, this car never had belts, so I am a bit befuddled.

Also, anyone have belts that they really like?  I was going to go with
lap-only belts, but I think they would make me more than a little
nervous (not to mention unsafe).

Anyone have children of car-seat age?  I do, so the belts I choose must
work for that (BTW, is the fact that the seats do not lock down of
concern regarding this?  I would think that the seat belt would hold
both passenger and seat in place just fine, but then I got a C in
mechanical engineering).

Finally, I am looking for one LAT-70 spinner.  Anybody?

Thanks for the bandwidth.
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS