Re: Restoration Question

To: "Randy Zimmermann" <RZIMM@hhh.umn.edu>
Subject: Re: Restoration Question
From: smalwood@Rt66.com (John Smallwood)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:02:25 -0600 (MDT)
Dear Randy,

I just went through door window nightmares as I replaced my driver's side
window regulator.  This is what I did.

1. Loosen the entire regulator system until it's loose in the door.  No need
to loosen the tracks on either side of the window.

2. This part is tricky, but it can be done.  If the track under the window
in which the regulator slides as the window goes up and down has a stop
screw or bolt in the end nearest the front of the door, remove it.  Play
with the regulator until it slides off the track.  It may take a while, but
it seems to suddenly come together and slide off the end nearest the front
of the door.

3. After removing the seal and the anti-rattle strip in the window channel
on the top of the door, you should be able to gentle wiggle the window and
its track out the top of the door without removing the weatherstrip or
anti-rattle clips on either side.

4. I had to remove the track from the window to get it back together.  I did
this by using a very thin-bladed screwdriver and gently prying at either end
and in the middle until it came loose.

5. I placed the window back in the track INSIDE the door once I had the
regulator in place and the track on the regulator.  I gently tapped the
window back in place gradually using a rubber mallet.

6. Getting the window regulator spring in place is tricky, too.  If you need
help on this call me on 505-988-3400 (NM).  You might also use this
opportunity to replace the gears with the kit Sunbeam Specialties sells.
It's a machine shop job.

Of course it's advisable once everything is all together to cover all the
holes in the door with thick plastic and duct tape.  This keeps water from
warping your door panels.  Also, white board material is a good choice for
door panels.

Good luck!

John

John Smallwood