RE: Renault Spin on Filter

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Renault Spin on Filter
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:49:00 -0700
>>What I have heard is the smaller the filter the "sooner" the bypass
>>becomes activated.  Even largish (PH8A) filters have their bypass
>>open at higher RPM (and viscocity) but smaller filters bypass sooner
>>and you end up spending more time without the filter in the circuit.

Ford engines utilize "full-flow" lubrication.  Which means all oil must
pass through the filter before it gets into the engine.  The pressure
relief valve dumps excess oil back to the pan before it reaches the
filter.  As for the size of the filter - though it may not have the
debris-holding capacity of a PH8a, FL1, etc., it shouldn't be a problem
with oil flow.

By comparison, my 86' Jeep with a 360 V8 uses a Fram 3675 - it's about
the smallest filter I've ever seen.  I too had concerns about its'
ability to perform, but, I figure the manufacturer knew what they were
doing and, with over 140,000 miles, the motor is still running strong.
Just my 2 cents...

Don Daves      <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA.
65 Tiger (his)