Re: Steering Wheel

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 96 12:16:19 -0700
     Probably in the late '80's, I refinished my Tiger's stock steering
     wheel.  I sanded off all of the cracked original coating, and a bit of
     the surface too, I guess, and it looked a lot lighter.  I stained it
     with a Minwax "Early American", sort of a light oak color, to make it
     look a little warmer, and then laid on a bunch of coats of Minwax Spar
     Polyurethane varnish.  This stuff isn't supposed to be great in
     outdoor conditions (such as UV), but it doesn't get that much
     exposure, and today it still looks great.

     What you don't want to use is that thick clear plastic craft stuff,
     the stuff they pour over cypress log cross sections to make those
     coffee tables, clocks, etc.   It may look great, but it is dissolved
     by some sun block and bug repellent chemicals.

     Stu